A Dutch Overseas Country and Territory (OCT) in the southern Caribbean, Aruba is located north of Venezuela, outside the Caribbean hurricane belt. The surface area of Aruba is 180 km² and its population stands at 101,484. Its capital is Oranjestad. Within the Kingdom of the Netherlands, Aruba has country status alongside the Netherlands, Curaçao and Sint-Maarten. Its economy is mainly oriented towards tourism and offshore financial services, oil refining and transhipment industries. Aruba's government is increasing economic activities based on environmentally friendly businesses and the use of ‘green’ energy.
Under the 11th EDF, Aruba has been granted an indicative amount of €13 million for the period 2014-2020.
Under the 10th EDF, Aruba received €8.88 million in financial assistance as sector budget support for the implementation of the Aruban national education plan, 2007-2017, focusing on broader support for education, high quality teaching standards and universal access to education.
At the same time, Aruba is beneficiary of the 11th EDF-OCT Caribbean regional envelope (€40 million), focusing on sustainable energy and marine biodiversity. Aruba is also one of the beneficiaries of a €15 million programme under the 10th EDF regional envelope for the Caribbean OCTs focusing on stimulating the growth of Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) and enhancing economic competitiveness and lessening social, economic and environmental vulnerabilities.
1. The theme of the essay is "The Role of the European Union in the World".
2. The competition is open to third and fourth year University of Guyana students, from any faculty and from either Turkeyen or Tain campuses.
3. The essay must be a maximum of 5000 words, typed in Word, Times New Roman, size 12, double spacing.
4. The deadline for submissions is 17:00hrs on Tuesday 2 May, 2017 and all submissions must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
5. The essay should be an original piece of work. It should be written in the writer's own words and not copied from any books, articles, or from the internet, etc.
6. References - books, articles or online sources that are cited should be listed at the end of the essay. Quotations should also be acknowledged in the references.
7. The writer's name, email address and phone number should be included.
8. The first, second and third winners shall be informed by 6 May 2017. The judges' decision is final.
9. The three winners shall be expected to attend a Europe Day event at the Georgetown Club, Cummingsburg, Georgetown from 18:30-20:30hrs on Tuesday 9 May 2017. The winners shall be presented with their awards at this event.
10. The winning entry shall be circulated to the media for possible publication.