Below is a list of books that I recommend for your IELTS preparation. The first set of books are a must for IELTS and no student should be without one of them. The rest are useful books which you can get depending on your time limit and areas of weakness. There are many books for IELTS preparation on the market but these are the standard books that you will need.
Must Have IELTS Books
IELTS Cambridge Books: The only must have books for IELTS exam preparation are the Cambridge IELTS books 1 to 11. These are full authentic IELTS tests published by IELTS. Each book contains four IELTS tests for you to practice at home. These are real IELTS tests – a bit expensive but at least they are authentic. Book 11 is the most recent.
- No student should enter the IELTS exam without having first done some practice tests from one or a few of these books.
- Book 11 is the most recent book (2017).
- These books have limited topics and questions for the speaking test. You will need to find practice speaking topics online instead. Here’s a link to some free speaking topics and questions for IELTS.
- These books often cost more than other practice test books but you must remember that these are real test papers from IELTS and have not been written by other teachers or other authors. They are the only real test papers that exist.
These books can be bought from any amazon online store. They can be bought new or second hand. It might also be possible to find them in your local book stores.
Other Useful IELTS Books
IELTS Official Practice Materials: If you have completed the above set of test papers (IELTS Cambridge Books), you should try these practice materials.
IELTS Trainer: This is a book which contains 6 practice tests for IELTS as well as some useful advice for tackling the test. Please note that the practice tests are not officially published by IELTS (they are not written by IELTS) but are still quite realistic and good practice. Also note that the practice test materials in this book are for the academic paper only.
Top 5 best books to boost your IELTS writing score (Book review + link to download)
If you are struggling with IELTS Writing tasks, please take a look at our recommendation booklist to improve your writing score.
1. Improve your IELTS Writing Skills
– Band score: 5 – 6
– Book’s feature:
- complete preparation course for the academic writing paper of IELTS.
- 10 topic-based units, ideal for self-study as well as in class
- step-by-step guidance and a clear answer key a complete academic writing paper based on the unit topic to
- a complete academic writing paper based on the unit topic to practice the skills;
- technique boxes throughout each book to reinforce key points on how to approach academic writing tasks.
– Link download: Improve your IELTS Writing Skills
2. 15 days’ practice for IELTS Writing
– Band score: 5.5 – 6.5
– Book’s feature: The book is suitable for both Academic and General Modules
Day 1 to 5
- Gather information about the IELTS writing. Know how many words you need to write and how many minutes are given.
- Look for writing topics for both the first and the second tasks.
- For the Academic module, it is best to find different materials for graphs such as line, bar, and pie.
- For General Training module, find materials that would require candidates to write a formal, semi-formal and informal tone of letter.
- Know the criteria on how writing essays are evaluated.
Day 6 to 10
- Review on the rules of grammar and punctuation. It is important for essays to be grammatically correct and appropriately punctuated.
- Improve your vocabulary by learning expressions that will show the rise and fall of numbers, changes in the trends and the like. Choose words that will best describe the facts in the graph or diagram.
- Learn how to outline. Outlining makes the writing easier and the flow organized. Create a timetable on schedule of writing practices for the next five days.
Day 11 to 15
- Write at least two sets of writing tasks in a day. Have them checked by someone you are confident who is good at the English language.
- Be open to feedbacks on how you can improve your writing.
– Link download: 15 Days’ Practice for IELTS Writing
3. IELTS Advantage: Writing skills
– Band score: 7.0 – 8.0
– Book’s feature:
- shows students how to organize and structure an answer for all types of task 1 and 2 questions;
- contains a model essay in each unit, showing students exactly what is required;
- contains a general interest article in each unit, developing ideas and vocabulary for a common topic in the exam;
- quickly develops students’ fluency and confidence in producing pieces of writing through a focus on academic vocabulary and collocations;
- contains grammar exercises in each unit, showing students how to apply a wide range of grammar items in their IELTS writing.
– Link download: IELTS Advantage: Writing skills
4. BARRON’S WRITING FOR THE IELTS
– Band score: Suitable for all bands
– Book’s feature:
Suitable for both Academic or the General Training version. This book will help IELTS test takers learn several essential skills, including:
Help IELTS test takers learn several essential skills, including:
- Task Achievement: follow a three-step model to plan, write, and revise your essays
- Coherence and Cohesion: practice organizing your writing and connecting ideas
- Lexical Resource: build your vocabulary and use it correctly
- Grammatical Range and Accuracy: review rules and practice applying them to your writing
Each section leads you step-by-step through the process of writing an essay in response to a particular task.
Learn how to apply what you’ve learned, familiarize yourself with the types of questions you’ll have to respond to on the test
– Link download: BARRON’S WRITING FOR THE IELTS
5. High-scoring IELTS Writing Model Answers
– Band score: 7+
– Book’s feature:
- Selected IELTS actual tests
- Model essays from experienced teachers
- Strategy transfer
- Practical sentence structures
- Suitable for both Academic and General Trainings
– Link download: High-scoring IELTS Writing Model Answers
If you are looking for more books, please visit HERE to find more FREE and USEFUL books for IELTS Writing preparation
Thank you for visiting my page
Hope you will succeed in your next exams